Our next player interview is with Swiss Scouser Brian Butterworth. Brian who lives in Switzerland has been playing Subbuteo for more than 20 years and had a tough induction to the game when he joined the highly competitive Merseyside League. The league has featured many great players including Phil Redman, Brian Daley, Mark Lewis and Peter Liversedge.
1. When did you first start playing?
I probably started playing when I was around 11, when my brother-in-law Brian Daley gave me my first team.
2. Which was your first ever big tournament?
It has to be the Europa Cup for Clubs 1999 in Paris when I played for Hot Club D'Ecosse. We only had a 3 man team so we didn't do great!!!
3. Which is the best tournament you have ever attended?
Every year Mons just gets better and better for me. It's really well run and really well attended. There are never any easy games as the worlds best players attend.
4. What was the best goal you have ever scored?
It was probably during the IO of England ( Salisbury ) which I won!! It was during the final and I can't really remember the goal but it was the celebration which made it memorable. I ran the length of the hall and imitated Robbie Fowlers celebration of snorting the sideline! There are photographs of this, I think Colin Lewis has them.
5. Who would you describe as being the toughest player you have faced in England?
I think growing up playing in the Merseyside League provided me with tough games week in week out. Brian Daley, Phil Redman, Len Parsons, Mark Lewis, Peter Liversedge where all British champions at one point,
6. Who would you describe as being the toughest player you have faced in the World?
It has to be Carlos Flores. I played him at the 2012 World Cup where I took a 1-0 lead for about 4-5 minutes, needless to say he turned it round and won 11-1
7. What has been the best match you have ever played in?
Probably in Mons 2 years ago, I was playing Mark Gauci in a group match. I was 4-0 down at half time but I played a lot better second half. I still lost but the score was 6-4!
8. What has been your best moment or achievement in the game?
It's between my 1 and only tournament win ( IO of England ) or representing Switzerland at he 2012 World Cup.
9. What has been the funniest moment you have seen on a trip away to a tournament?
Traveling all over the UK and Europe with Merseyside provided us with many laughs including having our car stolen in Middlesborough and having to travel back with Chris Wrigley and stay in his VEGAN bed & breakfast ( none of us are vegan ) We ended up drunk as skunks with bottles of Budweiser ( other bottled beers are also available ) on our heads singing " WE ARE VEGANS, WE AR VEGANS, COME AND JOIN US, WE ARE VEGANS" . There are many more stories but I wouldn't want to implicate anyone as most of us are married now and I want to keep some stories back for my memoirs.
10. Which football team do you support?
Liverpool FC and since I've lived in Switzerland FC Basel
11. What is your favourite food?
Steak, Egg & Chips
12. Do you have any other hobbies?
I've been playing golf since I was about 15 and now have a handicap of 4.
13. What is your favourite holiday destination?
Greece. Greece is the reason I stopped playing Subbuteo, I went there on Holiday when I was 18 and ended up staying there for 5 years!
14. What is the best movie you have ever seen?
Anything with Will Ferrel. Old School - Talledega Nights etc....
15. What is your favourite TV series?
At the moment it's Homeland, but all time favourites are the British comedy classics - Only Fools, Allo Allo, Vicar of Dibley.
16. What is your favourite music?
Everything really, nothing Bieber-ish or too heavy.
17. Which person do you have most respect for in life?
Probably my wife for putting up with me! But in the Subbuteo world it has to be the whole of the Merseyside League who help shape me as a social reprobate !