Vasco Guimarães is one of the greatest Subbuteo players of all time. The English Subbuteo Association is delighted to interview a true legend of the game. Vasco who is a former World Champion reveals many fascinating facts about his journey with Subbuteo through the years.
1. When did you first start playing?
I started playing at a very young age at home with my dad and cousins. Maybe around 7 or 8. I wasn´t even tall enough to reach the table and flick properly I guess!
2. Which was your first ever big tournament?
My first big tournament was the portugese national U13 championships in 87 where I became Portugese champion in my category. Internationally my first big event was when I won the Junior World Cup in Rome 1990!
3. Which is the best tournament you have ever attended?
Undoubtely the Major of Sucy.
4. What was the best goal you have ever scored?
The best goal I scored was probably a moving jump shot against Luis Machado back in the 90´s.
5. Who would you describe as being the toughest player you have faced in England?
I think Kaspar Bennett, Darren Clark and Chris Thomas are pretty tough to beat.
6. Who would you describe as being the toughest player you have faced in the World?
I played against many amazing players in the last 20 years! Guys like Sobral, Delogne, Bolognino, Fuseau, Maia, Naszalyi... But probably the one that really tires me up both phisically and mentally is Carlos Flores. I have to give everything I have in order to beat him.
7. What has been the best match you have ever played in?
I have had the luck to have played so many amazing matches during my career. I can´t really just focus on one. But, for example, my last match against Flores last year in the Major of Mons was superb. I beat him 4-3 in a very well played match!
8. What has been your best moment or achievement in the game?
I think the year of 1997 was probably my best year ever. I managed to win every competition both nationally and internationally. Portugese champion, Champions League with GDDF and European Champion both individually and with the National Team.
9. What has been the funniest moment you have seen on a trip away to a tournament?
I remember the old car trips we made to France or to Belgium! There would always be funny stories along!!! I remember one time in Paris where our bus was stolen in front of the hotel during the night and we had to go and play the next morning!!! that was certainly our main concern!!! :)
10. Which football team do you support?
11. What is your favourite food?
The Porto typical "Francesinha" made with bread, wet-cured ham, linguiça, fresh sausage like chipolata, steak or roast meat and covered with melted cheese and a hot thick tomato and beer sauce served with french fries. Not very healthy though!
12. Do you have any other hobbies?
13. What is your favourite holiday destination?
The southwest of Portugal namely the "Costa Vicentina". One of the most amazing beaches in the world can be found there!
14. What is the best movie you have ever seen?
15. What is your favourite TV series?
Probably Family Guy.
16. What is your favourite music?
anything from Radiohead or Thom Yorke.
17. Which person do you have most respect for in life?
My mother. The more intelligent and just person I know. She taught me all of my values and principles. And probalby the sole person on earth that didn´t want me to play table football!!! :)